To read Lenah's story from the beginning, just go to the side bar under blog archive and start reading from May 2013.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

September 16th Update

Today has been another whirlwind day. I was released from the hospital at noon. I have just gotten settled on my couch at home after repacking all of my hospital bags in preparation for tomorrow. We had a consult with the cardiac surgeon this afternoon. James had to attend via speakerphone as he was still at work and it would have taken him at least an hour and a half to get to the hospital. We learned today that Lenah has a Double Outlet Right Ventricle and an Interrupted Inferior Vena Cava along with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. Tomorrow morning she will be undergoing the Norwood open heart surgery. It is an all day surgery – typically taking 6-8 hours to complete. The survival rate for this particular surgery is somewhere around 80 %. If Lenah were not to have this surgery, she would only have about a week left to live. Prior to 1981, babies born with a heart like Lenah would not live more than a week. Dr. Heinle is the surgeon that will be leading Lenah's surgery tomorrow. I feel like there is more I would like to say, but I need to get some rest. Once again, please pray for us. I feel like the river is running high.

-Lenah's mommy, Edie

No comments:

Post a Comment